State Gym is located on the west side of campus. It was recently renovated in 2012 and now offers a variety of new amenities such as the rock climbing wall and a leisure pool with a high-dive. State gym is a great place not only to exercise but to have a great time, too!
Check out this virtual tour of Iowa State University. You can find State Gym listed on the map in the lower left corner.
2642 Union Dr.
Ames, IA 50011-2029
Service Desk phone: (515) 294-6640
Prepay Parking meter spaces are available outside of State Gym on the south side of the building.
All users, omitting guests, must present a valid ISUCard encrypted with the current version number in order to enter State Gym. See Membership for detailed information on who can use the facility and costs for memberships, passes, and locker rental. Guests must show a current photo ID to enter.
Equipment Checkout is closed until further notice.
Current Recreation Services members that are 18 years of age or older may bring up to four (4) guests (under the age of 18) and one other adult dependent/guest during Family Hours.
Family Hours at State Gym, Beyer, and Lied Recreation Center are Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 PM – 5:00 PM. Hours may vary. Please confirm facility hours prior to arrival.
Space is available to reserve for tournaments, student groups, and special programs. A Facility Request Form must be submitted two weeks prior to the event.
- 5 Basketball courts
- 3 Volleyball / Badminton Courts
- 125 Pieces of weight and cardio equipment with cable television and phone connection
- 2 Indoor running tracks – West track- 8 laps/1 mile – East track- 12 laps/1 mile
- Indoor leisure pool with 25 person spa; vortex; 3-meter diving platform; water basketball; water volleyball; 3 lap swim lanes, 16’ x 9’ television
- 40 ft. Rock climbing wall and a 13 ft. bouldering wall
- Fitness Suite with yoga and Pilates/Barre fitness classrooms
- Cycling Studio
- 2 Multipurpose activity rooms
- Skywalk featuring Precor Ellipticals that connects the State Gym addition to Beyer Hall
- Locker rooms with lockers to rent and individual changing/shower rooms
- Day Use Lockers (located on main floor) – No overnight storage/Locks reset & lockers cleared out every evening before close
- Recreation Services Administration Offices
- Outdoor Recreation Program Office
- Shallow water space (3 ft 6in) that includes areas for water basketball and water volleyball
- Deep water space (12 ft 6in) with a 3-meter diving platform
- Vortex pool for walking against or floating with the current
- 25-person hot tub
- Utilizing State or Beyer pool for private swim lessons not sponsored by the University is prohibited