Closure & COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Updates
Updated 04/28/20 at 3:06pm
Recreation Services will follow University guidelines for when facilities will reopen. At this time, there is not an established date to open. Please continue to check this page for the latest information.
Updated 04/01/20 at 3:06pm
Rec Services plays an important role in supporting the physical and mental wellbeing of Iowa State University students, faculty, and staff. During a national health pandemic, physical and mental health are more important than ever. To that end, Rec Services is committed to providing as many virtual options as possible to support that.
Rec Services is providing live fitness classes online (@ISURecS on Instagram)
- Recordings are available for 24 hours after the live event
- Professional staff and student staff are dedicated to providing multiple virtual fitness options every day
Rec Services is providing virtual Personal Training
- Our personal trainers are providing written workouts, recorded workouts, and virtual consultations for existing clients
Rec Services is providing continued virtual employment opportunities for student employees during our closure
- A number of student employees expressed concerns of financial insecurity and Rec Services is committed to supporting those students as much as possible
- Student employees are expanding their department knowledge, professional development, and collaborating to improve the overall Rec Services experience
Rec Services is developing resources for the future, improving services, and expanding offerings in preparation for when we reopen
- New offerings have already launched virtually, specifically new Intramural options to keep students engaged and connected
- Rec Services is partnering with Student Health, Student Counseling, and Student Wellness to provide multiple avenues and resources for students to seek help and learn about physical and mental health – now and into the future
Rec Services capital projects continue on schedule in an effort to expand and enhance the student experience
- The Southeast Fields Complex is still on schedule and is set to open this fall
- An eSports program and physical space are in development that will allow Rec Services to reach more students than ever before
Updated 03/16/20 at 5:34pm
With the support of Iowa State University leadership, Recreation Services facilities is closed until further notice. This includes all Recreation Services buildings and fields.
This action was not taken lightly. Although Recreation Services will be unavailable, we encourage you to maintain a healthy lifestyle, including a proper diet, sleep, and exercise.
If you need access to your locker to retrieve any personal items that you may need during this closure, please email email@example.com.
More information will be available on our website and social media accounts as it becomes available.
For more information or questions, please refer to our website.
Updated 03/16/20 at 4:22pm
With the rapidly evolving situation and ongoing concerns about COVID-19 (coronavirus), Rec Services continues to closely monitor the latest reports from the University and has taken a number of precautionary measures to keep you well. Please continue to monitor this page for the latest updates.
Your health and safety is our number one priority. Our leadership is meeting regularly to address and enact prevention and response efforts as the situation continues to evolve. Scroll down to view program and facility updates.
Resources for COVID-19 and preventative measures:
What Rec Services is doing to keep you well:
- We continue to expand our efforts and frequency on cleaning contact surfaces and equipment.
- All interior facility doors will remain open to minimize use of door handles.
- We have made additional disinfecting spray bottles and hand sanitizer dispensing stations available for your convenience.
- To promote social distancing of 6 feet or more, cardio and weight equipment will be spaced accordingly.
- Fitness studios and group exercise areas will be closed.
- All water fountains have been shut off. Bottle filling stations are operational. Please bring your own water bottle.
Here is what you can do:
- DO NOT come into the facility if you are sick or been around someone who is sick.
- Continue to take preventative measures.
- PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING: Maintain a distance of 6 feet between yourself and others whenever possible. Modify your recreational activities and focus on individual sport and fitness activities.
- Swipe your own ID when entering Rec Services facilities.
- SPRAY | WAIT | WIPE: Spray and wipe down equipment before and after each use. Disinfecting spray bottles and towels are available for your use.
- Bring your own exercise mat, exercise bands, towel, and other personal workout equipment.
Monday – Friday 8am – 8pm; Satuday & Sunday 12pm – 8pm
There will be no equipment check out until further notice. Items that will no longer be available for checkout at Lied Rec Center, State Gym, and Beyer Hall include, but are not limited to:
- Resistance bands
- Climbing shoes
We encourage you to bring your own personal items that Recreation Services will not be providing during this time. Locker rooms, showers, and courts are still available for use. However, we strongly discourage pickup games.
- All fitness classes are suspended until further notice
- Rec Services is working on recorded Fitness videos for the near future
- All personal training sessions are suspended until further notice
- All sport club related activities are suspended until further notice
- The Weight Club room will be closed until further notice
- All /n-person Intramural activities are suspended until further notice
- Intramurals is exploring opportunities for virtual competitions
- All climbing and bouldering walls are closed until further notice
- All workshops, trips, and equipment checkout are suspended until further notice