Did you know that Certified Lifeguards are in high demand? Many pools are facing lifeguard shortages and we want you to become certified! This course is March 16-18 from 8:30 am – 6:00 pm at State Pool. This lifeguard course is meant to prepare participants for aquatic emergencies and how to respond to them. Participants will learn the important knowledge and skills needed to prevent, stop and respond to various aquatic emergencies. Seem interesting? Check out the list of pre-requisites to see if you can participate!
- Be at least 15 years of age.
- Swim 300 yards continuously to demonstrate breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes only using your legs.
- Complete a timed brick event in 1 minute and 40 seconds: Swim 20 yards with no goggles, dive down 7-10 feet and grab a 10-pound object, swim 20 yards back to the wall with both hands holding the object, and exit the water.
- You must be a member of Iowa State Recreation Services to enroll. However, if you are not a member, we do offer reduced rate memberships + our all-new Youth Memberships!
Participants must be present for all hours of the course. Successful completion of the course does not guarantee employment.
Please register here.