Recreation Services is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. By creating an inclusive environment and providing programs that support our diverse perspectives, we preserve the spirit of community. It is essential that all have the opportunity to exercise their right to express individual human and cultural identities.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion | ISU Recreation Services Non-Discrimination Policy
- Iowa State University and the Department of Recreation Services does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. Veteran. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Compliance, 3350 Beardshear Hall, (515) 294-7612.
- Recreation Services is committed to assuring that its facilities, programs, or services are free from discriminatory, inappropriate, and disrespectful conduct or communication.
- Verbal or written abuse, threats, intimidation, violence, or other forms of harassment towards participants or staff will not be tolerated.
- All participants and staff are expected to respect the rights of others and to be civil, effective citizens of the ISU community.
- Recreation Services patrons may participate in programs and utilize facilities in a manner consistent with their gender identity.
Reserve facility space for your group.
Spaces within Recreation Services facilities can be reserved by ISU groups during facility open hours. If your group needs a reserved space for recreation please request a reservation by filling out this form. If you need any accommodations, please indicate this when filling out the form or contacting our Assistant Director of Facilities. Due to limited facilities, all requests cannot be accommodated. Recreation Services reserves the right to modify or cancel any scheduled events.
Locker rooms and Restrooms
Recreation Services policy states that patrons may utilize any space and facility in a manner consistent with their gender identity. This includes all locker rooms and restrooms. There are gender inclusive restrooms located in State Gym next to the Administrative Offices and in Beyer Hall, lower level between the locker room entrances leading into the pool. Individual locking, changing/showering rooms are located in State Gym in the hallway south of the pool right before entering the locker rooms. Here is a map of all the gender-inclusive restrooms on campus:
Transgender Policy for Eligibility & Participation in Intramural Sports Activities and Sport Clubs:
All individuals shall be permitted to participate in the Iowa State University (ISU) Recreation Services Intramural (IM) Sports Program (i.e. Leagues, tournaments, etc.), and Sport Clubs program in a manner consistent with their gender identity. While sport programs are typically offered in gender-based divisions, ISU Recreation Services seek to provide opportunities for all students to participate in its programs inclusive of gender identity. If an individual or team is unsure of which division would be most appropriate in which to participate, please contact the Assistant Director of Intramural Sports or the Coordinator of Sport Clubs to help determine which division would most appropriately fit the participation needs of the individual or team.
Facility Attire Policy:
Rec Services strives to maintain a clean, safe, and inclusive environment while honoring personal workout clothing preferences.
- Shirts/tops, shorts/pants, and closed-toes shoes must be worn at all times other than in the pool and locker rooms.
- Clothing cannot display offensive language.
- Appropriate, clean, closed-toe, non-marking, athletic shoes are required in all activity areas. Street shoes or shoes that mark the floors are prohibited.
- Clean attire that is intended for swimming must be worn in the pool and hot tub (no workout clothes).
- We do not require gender-specific attire within any of our recreation facilities. Participants are encouraged to wear attire that honors their workout experience most.
Intramural Team Name Policy:
Recreation Services is committed to assuring that its programs are free from discriminatory, inappropriate, and disrespectful conduct or communication; therefore we reserve the right to disallow any team name that we feel may be unacceptable due to a racial, sexual, or is otherwise degrading in nature. We ask that all team names, upon submittal, not contain profanity and/or not be racial or sexually explicit in nature. In the event we need to remove a team name we will simply change the team name to the Captain’s last name and provide the opportunity for the team to change their name.