Cy-5 Virtual 5k
HOW IT WORKS:
From Ames to Timbuktu, it doesn’t matter where you are when it comes to participating in the CY-5 Virtual 5K. Cyclones from around the world are invited to participate in this FREE event. Registration is now open!
- Run 3.2 miles and utilize the tracking app of your choice to record your stellar time. The run can be completed any day between 9/21 and 10/5.
- Enter your time into the scorecard by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, October 5th to be eligible for prizes!
- You can run your 5K anywhere, but if you’d like, we have marked out a 5K course on campus that begins at State Gym: Click here to view map.
You’ll have three different leagues to pick from when registering. Please choose the league that best describes your relationship to the University.
- CY-5 OPEN: Anyone can join!
- CY-5 FACULTY/STAFF: Grab some office buddies and start a running group!
- CY-5 GREEK: The chapter that logs the most participants wins a prize!
The CY-5 Virtual 5K is more than just the fastest times. We’ve created a number of cool challenges for you to enter for a chance at one of our CY-5 race shirts!
- In order to be eligible to win, you must be registered for the 5K and post applicable pictures to either Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter using the hashtag #CY5
Recreation Services staff will select a winner from each category:
- RUNNING ROUTE: Take a picture showcasing your course. This can include a cool landmark or maybe some nature?
- CY SPIRIT: Show us that school spirit!
- COOL KICKS: Snap a pic of your snazzy running shoes.
- RUNNING JAMS: Post that go to jam you use when you need that last little OOMF, you know the one.
- RUNNING PARTNER: Take a picture running with your favorite human or animal running companion.
- STAY HYDRATED: Show off that cool water bottle with all the stickers on it.
WHAT IS A VIRTUAL FUN RUN?
- No matter where you are, Cyclones all around the world participate in this FREE event. Run a 5K on the course of your choosing and enter your time. You will use the activity tracking app of your choice to record and report your results.
- If you need a route to run, we have one marked out on campus here: Cy-5 Campus Map
WHEN IS THE VIRTUAL FUN RUN?
- You will be able to complete your run or walk and report your results at any point between September 21 through October 5.
WHEN DOES REGISTRATION OPEN?
- Registration opens on Monday, September 14 and continues all the way through the last day of the competition on Monday, October 5.
HOW CAN I REGISTER?
- All students can register for the Open League here: Open League Registration
- Students who are a part of a sorority or fraternity chapter can register for the Greek League here: Greek League Registration
- Faculty/Staff can register for the Faculty/Staff League here: Faculty/Staff Registration
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE?
- Any current Iowa State University student, faculty or staff are eligible to participate.
WILL THERE BE PRIZES?
- Yes! But not just for the fastest times! There will be a series of unique and fun challenges to give participants multiple chances to win our super cool CY-5 shirt! Winners will be notified via email and can pick up their prizes at State Gym, following the last day of the event. If you are not local, we can also mail you your prize!
I’M IN! NOW THAT I’VE REGISTERED, WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
- Once registered you’ll receive a race packet via email with instructions on how to enter your time.
Follow @ISURecS on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for more info.