CY-5 VIRTUAL 5K
HOW IT WORKS:
Join the ISU community as we celebrate our perseverance in these uncertain times with the CY-5 Virtual 5K: Run/Walk for Recovery. Cyclones from around the world are invited to participate in this FREE event benefitting The Iowa State Collegiate Recovery Community. Registration is now open!
- Run 3.1 miles and utilize the tracking app of your choice to record your stellar time. The run can be completed any day between 4/4 and 4/11.
- Enter your time into the scorecard by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday 4/11.
- You can run your 5K anywhere (indoors or outdoors), but if you’d like, we have marked out a 5K course on campus that begins at State Gym: Click here to view map.
COLLEGIATE RECOVERY COMMUNITY AT ISU
This virtual 5k is helping to raise awareness for the Collegiate Recovery Community on campus. The mission of Collegiate Recovery Community is to be a support-based, student-focused, and inclusive program that provides and connects students in recovery or seeking recovery to the support resources and substance free spaces necessary to achieve their optional level of academic success and wellbeing
Collegiate Recovery Community programs across the country help students stay in school and maintain their recovery.
- To date, more than 150 campuses across the country have registered Collegiate Recovery Communities or programs, which now includes Iowa State University!
Support Resource, Services, and Opportunities
- Services through Collegiate Recovery Community include:
- Connection to CRC Student Organization (Rootless)
- Weekly SMART® Recovery Peer Support Group Meeting
- One on One Wellness Coaching
- Substance Free Social Programming Opportunities
More information about CRC is here: https://www.studentwellness.iastate.edu/collegiate-recovery-community/
Sorority and Fraternity:
Students who are members of a sorority or fraternity are automatically included in a competition to win some incentives! The chapter with the highest percentage of members who register and complete the 5k by recording a time will receive an incentive!
The CY-5 Virtual 5K is meant to be a fun run/walk. We’ve created a number of cool challenges for you to enter for a chance to win some incentives!
- In order to be eligible to win, you must be registered for the 5K and post applicable pictures to either Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter using the hashtag #CY5
Student Health and Wellness staff will select a winner from each category:
- FASTEST WALK: Runners have been on the podium for too long! We’re ready for our power walkers to strut their stuff. Post a screenshot of your walking time!
- BEST OUTFIT: Make the race your runway. Show us your most fashionable running outfit.
- KEEP IT CLEAN: One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. See some litter on your route? Get it where it needs to be and snap a pic!
- 4 LEGS, 5K: Take a picture with your favorite walking/running furry friend.
- SCENIC ROUTE: Take a picture that takes your breath away. We want to see your most beautiful walking/running routes.
- CY SPIRIT: Show off your cyclone spirit with your favorite Iowa State outfit.
- COOL KICKS: Snap a pic of your snazzy running shoes.
- RUNNING JAMS: Post that go to jam you use when you need that last little OOMF, you know the one.
- STAY HYDRATED: Show off that cool water bottle with all the stickers on it.
WHAT IS A VIRTUAL FUN RUN?
- No matter where you are, Cyclones all around the world participate in this FREE event. Run a 5K on the course of your choosing and enter your time. You will use the activity tracking app of your choice to record and report your results.
- If you need a route to run, we have one marked out on campus here: Cy-5 Campus Map
WHEN IS THE VIRTUAL FUN RUN?
- You will be able to complete your run or walk and report your results at any point between April 4 and April 11.
WHEN DOES REGISTRATION OPEN?
- Registration opens on Monday, March 8 and continues all the way through the last day of April 11.
HOW CAN I REGISTER?
- Click on the registration form above. If you are a member of a sorority or fraternity, make sure to indicate your chapter on the form. The chapter with the highest percentage who complete 5k will receive an incentive.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE?
- Any current Iowa State University student, faculty or staff are eligible to participate. Also, any community member and alumni can participate.
WILL THERE BE PRIZES?
- Yes! But not just for the fastest times! There will be a series of unique and fun challenges to give participants multiple chances to win our super cool CY-5 shirt! Winners will be notified via email and can pick up their prizes at State Gym. If you are not local, we can also mail you your prize!
I’M IN! NOW THAT I’VE REGISTERED, WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
- Once registered you’ll receive various emails from Smartsheets with additional information as you lead up to your race day.
Follow @ISURecS on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for more info.