What Are Intramural Sports?
The Intramural Sports Program at Iowa State is designed to provide organized competitive and recreational activities for participants of all levels and abilities. Structured leagues and tournaments are offered in a variety of team, individual and dual activities ranging from Flag Football and Volleyball to Badminton and Poker. We also offer out of the ordinary sports such as Broomball and Curling. Participants in the men’s, women’s and co-ed activities number in the thousands each year.
Who Can Play Intramural Sports?
ISU Students who have been assessed the current Activity and Service Fee (includes Recreation Services) are eligible to participate in the Intramural Sports Program with their valid ISUCard. All ISU students are assessed the Activity and Service Fee with a few exceptions. Examples of some of the exceptions: APP students, noncredit internships and co-ops, distance education courses, high school students (PSEOA), etc. You may check your U-Bill online to see if you have been assessed the Activity and Service Fee. If you have not been assessed the fee and want to participate, you may contact the Fee Assessment Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be assessed the Activity Fee. Include your ISU ID# in the email.
DMACC/community college students in the Admissions Partnership Program (APP), are not eligible to participate unless they choose to pay the Activity and Service Fee (Each semester you wish to participate). If you want to participate, you may contact the Fee Assessment Office by email at email@example.com and ask to be assessed the Activity Fee. Include your ISU ID# in the email.
Non-enrolled Students – (NES Pass) (Fall/Spring Pass)
The following ISU student categories are eligible to purchase an NES Pass. Eligibility must be verified by the Recreation Services Administrative Office – 1180 State Gym.
– Continuing Student: A student must have been enrolled and completed the previous academic session at ISU. This pass allows continued access and participation during a semester or summer session when they are not officially enrolled. It is not available for consecutive academic semesters.
– New Student: A student must be officially enrolled for the next academic session at ISU, and have never been enrolled at ISU at any time in the past. This pass allows access and participation during a semester/session prior to starting classes at ISU.
NON-Students – Rec Pass (Fall/Spring Pass – $161 per semester or Annual Pass – $403) All non-students must be 18 years of age or older.
All non-students must have a current and valid ISUCard.
The following groups are eligible to purchase a Rec Pass if they meet the above two criteria:
– Student Spouses and Dependents
– Employees, Spouses and Dependents (i.e. faculty, staff, post doc, visiting professor) Retired Employees and Spouses
– Alumni Association Members Approved Affiliate Employees
– Affiliate Spouses are not eligible to be issued an ISUCard, however, they are eligible to purchase a Non-ISUCard Holder paper pass. Please contact Recreation Services for information regarding this process. 1180 State Gym, 294-4980
What Activities Do We Offer?
A magnet with the Intramural Schedule of Activities for the entire year is available at 1180 State Gym and also at the Lied Recreation/Athletic Center. For specific information, go to the Recreation Services website, or check the bulletin boards and flyer display areas at State Gym and the Lied Recreation Athletic Center.
How Do I Get Involved
Individuals as well as teams are encouraged to participate in Intramural Sports . Teams are usually formed from residence hall floors, Greek houses, student organizations, hometown affiliations and often simply groups of friends. Each residence hall, sorority, and fraternity has a Recreation Services Manager who will represent and assist their residents in signing up for activities. Independent groups and organizations should select an individual to be responsible for linking the Intramural Sports program and the group they represent. If you want to enter an individual/dual activity and you are not represented by a Recreation Services Manager, it is your responsibility to register online before the deadline. Entries will not be accepted over the phone. All entries must be submitted online.
If you want to play, but you do not have a doubles partner or know enough people to form a team, don’t fret, we can still get you involved. All you need to do is sign up as a free agent on the Recreation Services website, www.recservices.iastate.edu, under the particular sport you want to participate in. Your name will be available to any other individual as well as team captains looking for players or partners.
Intramural Champion T-Shirts
Members of championship teams are eligible for individual awards. Individual and dual sport tournament winners also receive awards. In order to qualify, your name must have appeared on a scorecard (a minimum of two games for team sports). The number of awards given to a team is three more than the number allowed on the field/court at one time. If you have more players than the maximum number allowed, T-shirts may be purchased for a fee. A maximum of two awards will be awarded to any one participant in a single sport. Awards must be picked up within one calendar year.
Important Contact Information
- Russ Jones: 515-294-0998, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linda Marticke: 515-294-3234, email@example.com
- Nathan Pick: 515-294-4186, firstname.lastname@example.org
Weather Hotline: 515-294-5002
Recreation Services Office: 515-294-4980